i'm studying at la universidad de las americas in puebla, mexico, from january to may 2007. ven conmigo en mis aventuras!

04 January 2007

so here i am! i'm in mexico, on the udla campus, i just ate fajitas for dinner (coincidentally, while watching the bearcats game on a big screen tv - random, i know!), and i made it through customs and airport security without any problems (whew).

i'm currently locked out of my room. because my key doesn't work. it's a really nice room - i managed to get myself in once! - but the key i was given is a card, like in a hotel, and it definitely only works every 91 times i try it. i managed to explain to the man at the front desk in my building - en espanol! - that my key didn't work and i needed a new one, but the new one doesn't work either, on the front door or my actual bedroom door. hmmm. tomorrow morning after i go to a welcome session, i'm going to have to get it all sorted out and move in, i hope. i'm living in cain-murray, by the way, in case anyone who's been here before is wondering...

it should be noted that when you walk out the front door of my suite and down a small path, if you look to the left, you see the beautiful UDLA campus, and if you look to the right, the first thing you see is the soccer stadium and past that is popocatepetl, a very very large volcano! - which, by the way, has been spewing ash into the sky and making the air smell ever so slightly like sulfer all afternoon and evening. it's basically amazing.

we drove through mountains and some other volcanoes to get to puebla from mexico city today. it was a pretty drive, but i definitely fell asleep.

the food is marvelous, but my first meal here was definitely burger king in the airport. in mexico's defense, however, it tasted better than i remember.

my spanish is so-so. we shall see how this goes...

i enjoy this place so far. there's so much to look at, i don't think i'll ever get bored. especially since there are peacocks on campus.

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Yay for you getting to mexico okay! I hope you keep doing well and that you get back into your room!

Keep safe and keep smiling! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made it down there just fine! It sounds like it is already going well. I hope you get adjusted quickly. I watched the Cincy game too, and I'm sorry you had to see that poor of a game, haha. Anyway, that volcano sounds amazing, I hope to see pictures of it! Good luck this week and I will make sure to keep in touch! :)

Anonymous said...

How nice to read this from you! It sounds amazing so far, as long as you can work out the doorkey problem. Here at home, we keep finding these random pieces of masking tape with words en espanol on various items around the house. Makes us miss you! PLEASE let your mommy and daddy (who love you and miss you aleady) hear from you when you can! Good luck with the orientation stuff, and with your SPANISH! Adios! (just about the extent of my Spanish, except for what I learned on Sesame Street!)

Patrick said...

Anni,

I'm so happy for your safe arrival!
Tenga un buen semestre, y la proxima tiempo que yo escriba, yo estaré en bonito El Salvador.

vaya con dios, y buena suerte con el volcán...muy peligroso...

besos,

patricio

Anonymous said...

It's awesome to hear you are starting to get accustomed to life in Mexico! It's crazy, isn't it? I miss it immensely... especially now that I'm back in Valpo and bombarded by about a million and two things. Have your roomies moved in yet? Or gone on the UDLA and/or Sally trip yet? Those were good times. I lived in Bernal, but Cain-Murray always seemed like the place to be. I am also really excited you get to see Popo acting up. I deeply miss Popo. Best of luck w/ the start of classes there and hope you aren't too stressed by the registration and VISA business. It all gets better from here!

Anonymous said...

yep, i totally hung out with the peacocks when i was in mexico when i was wee. :-D

love you!
-Cheri