i'm studying at la universidad de las americas in puebla, mexico, from january to may 2007. ven conmigo en mis aventuras!

31 January 2007

i´d first like to note that it started raining on friday night, a mere 14 hours after i wrote (gloated, rather) in my last entry about the lack of rain here. what up, bad karma.

also, the last entry that was published on here (you know the one, it has the date and nothing else...) was full of pictures that i had finally gotten to upload, but apparently when published, deleted the photos. i don´t really know how to delete an entry entirely, so there´s just going to be some empty space there for awhile. and i guess everyone will just have to see my pictures when i come home.

in the mean time, i can report that my first weekend in cholula / puebla was a success. it involved lots of semi-lost wandering, but that´s when you discover good architecture and fun parks and can do the best people watching, so i´m not complaining. it was drizzling on and off all day on saturday, so mel and mal and krista and i went into puebla to discover museums and eat good food. (we opted against the zoo because everyone knows that people who go to the zoo on rainy days are stupid and also the bane of my existance.) we discovered a museum called the museo amparo, which ... made me want to be an archeologist! big surprise. sunday, we decided we could not live one moment longer if we didn´t climb a pyramid (it had been seven days, people!), so mel and krista and i walked 6 blocks to the cholula pyramid and scaled it. it´s important to note that it´s un poco más dificil to climb pyramids in high elevations because of the lack of air. at the top are some of the best views of the cholula and puebla areas, i can imagine. it was just lovely!

yesterday was my first day at la casa de la niñez poblana. i was more worried about the bus(ses) than i was about the orphanage, but i think it should´ve been the other way around. on the way there, i met a woman at the busstop whose daughter is studying latin american studies in boston. so we chatted awhile and it eased my nerves. the children were adorable, but it´s overwhelming to have 20+ of them running around with only you to take care of them ... when you´re having a hard time understanding the language. they all call me (and every woman there) mamí ... which was also unnerving. i wanted to take them all home with me and give them homes with people to love them, but i can´t and that´s pretty heartbreaking. basically my first day was really overwhelming, but i liked it and i think i´ll be able to get past the fact that i want to give them all homes and instead focus on making their lives better in smaller ways, like kicking around a soccer ball or working on a puzzle or rubbing their backs when they´re having trouble falling asleep at naptime.

the end of the week brings alot of homework. (see, i swear i´m not on vacation!) then we have monday off (it´s constitution day!) and we´re taking a 3-day trip to morelos and guerrero. this area´s in a lower elevation and should be quite lush this time of year, i´m told. i´m really excited, since we get to explore caves and pyramids and stay in hotels with pools and gorgeous views. and see more diego rivera murals!

that´s about it. the keyboard on this computer has a spacebar that doesn´t work all that well, so writing this has been a bit of a chore. i´ll keep it (semi) short. ¡hasta la proxima semana!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Anni,
I'm sorry your photos didn't work, but your WORDS paint wonderful pictures. Keep them coming!! I'm vicariously enjoying every moment. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

I have to second what Leah said. Your descriptions are just superb. And I was so touched by your words about the orphanage. You have such a wonderful heart. Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Anni--
You would laugh at me if you saw how excited I get when I see you have a new entry posted! It makes my day. I can almost (almost!) hear your voice in your words. I love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: My mother bought a new purse (from Kohls of course). It looks almost like the old one except it's dark red. She's never had a purse that wasn't black, I think she's having a midlife crisis.

Anonymous said...

NOTICE TO LAURA: After wanting red shoes for many many years, I finally bought some red sandals this past summer. Could there be a link? (Sorry, my purse is still black, but not from Kohls...)
Sorry, Anni--but I had to respond to Laura! We'll stop now, and pay attention to only YOU!

Anonymous said...

Have a blast in Morelos and Guerrero... definitely one of my favorite trips in Mexico! You might fall in love with Taxco, just warning you. If you get the chance, climb up to the statue of the Cristo there. It's an amazing view, challenging hike, but one of my greatest memories from Mexico. Taking taxis there are the craziest too. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

(To Anni's Mom)
There must be some kind of connection going on there. Although I'm pretty sure my mother has never owned any shoes that were not black or nearblacknavy, and freakishly comfortable.

(To Anni)
I miss you! I need my running/medium-speed walking partner!